Dalk (Massage Therapy)
Massage is a group of procedures best done with the hands, such as friction, kneading, rolling and percussion of the external tissues of the body with a curative, palliative or hygienic objective.
The word massage is derived from two sources; one is the Arabic verb mass or masah meaning to touch or to press softly and the other is the greek word massein means to knead.
Different types of massage are specific for different diseases based on type of stroke, pressure applied, direction of moving hands and oils used for massage.
It decreases muscle reflex activity, inhibit motorneuron excitability, promotes relaxation and well-being. Massage blocks nociception and activate the parasympathetic nervous system which may stimulate the release of endorphin, serotonin and preventing fibrosis or scar tissue.
Benefits of Massage Therapy:
Massage therapy is used to assist in the healing process. Among its proven benefits are:
- Improves blood circulation.
- Cleanses metabolic waste products.
- Relieves anxiety and stress.
- Reduces several typesof pain.
- Boosts immune function.
- Increases mental alertness and clarity
- Improves metabolism, nutrition of muscles, ligaments and nerves.
- Relieves many common symptoms like headaches and muscle tension.
Indications of Massage Therapy:
- Joint pain
- Carpal Tunnel syndrome
- Low Back pain
- Cervical spondylosis
- Lumbar spondylosis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Nerve injuries
- General weakness
- Muscular dystrophy
- Cerebral palsy
- Postpartum body ache
Contraindications of massage therapy:
- Infectious diseases
- Cardiac illness
- Inflamed or infected skin conditions